Image courtesy of Engedi Church
Every year, our church, Engedi Church, partners with the Holland, MI, community to run in the Tulip Time race. The only difference is that our church is not running for the sake of running. We are actually running for a purpose. This event is called Tread, and I’d like to share a little bit on what it’s about. All of this information was taken directly from the Engedi Church charitable fundraiser page because no one could have said it better!
What It’s All About
In Turkey, Guatemala, and Nepal, thousands of children lack access to basic needs, including things as simple as food, shoes, and education. As a result, there is an entire generation of children filled with the potential to do great things, yet they do not have the opportunity to develop a brighter future.
- Turkey is home to nearly 3 million people who have fled violence in Syria since 2011. Over half of these refugees are children whose families are in search of a better life, but they are currently experiencing great difficulty in providing even the most basic needs for their family.
- Guatemala is still feeling the effects of a 36-year-long civil war. Nearly half of all children under the age of five are malnourished, 54% of the population lives below the poverty line, and access to basic resources is limited.
- Nepal, home to the Himalaya Mountains, is one of the least developed countries in the world. Over half of the children in this area will die before the age of 8 due to severe medical, social, educational, and environmental challenges.
On May 6, 2017, Engedi and the Holland community will partner together through Tread. Tread is an annual initiative that involves hundreds of individuals and families from Engedi who run and volunteer in the Tulip Time Run to help kids gain traction. This year, our goal is to raise $70,000 to provide:
- Food: Ankara Refugee Ministry, located in Turkey, gives vulnerable children and families forced to flee their homes vital supplies needed to meet daily needs and begin rebuilding their lives.
- Shoes: The Manos de Jesus shoe factory, located in Guatemala and operated by Pray America, employs local cobblers who make shoes for children. When kids have shoes, they have the opportunity to attend school and better their future.
- Education: MountainChild’s RANCH program, located in remote areas of Himalayas, provides children with all they need for both a home and an education, including school supplies, educational instruction, clothing, health care, food, and clean water.
Your donation has a direct impact and can change the trajectory for kids in greatest need, brining about long-term, sustainable development where it is severely lacking. Thank you for partnering with us in opening the doors to new levels of hope and meeting incredibly significant basic needs.
$10 = 1 week of food for refugees in Turkey
$30 = shoes for 3 kids in Guatemala
$60 = 1 month of education for a child in Nepal
So why am I even sharing this? Well, it’s because my two boys are running! To say their nervous is a big understatement, but they are totally excited. They even set up a goal of what they want to raise, and I find them talking about this opportunity any chance they get.
There are three race levels. My two boys are doing the 1K race.
Yes, you have a part to play! First, and foremost, we are asking for your prayers. Please pray over all of the runners, including my two children; the weather; the volunteers; the community; as well as all of these causes the money is going to support.
Secondly, if you feel so inclined, please consider donating! ALL proceeds are going to Guatemala, Turkey, and Nepal. And ALL donations are tax deductible. It’s super easy to donate, too! All you have to do is go to:
Thank you so much for reading about this awesome event! We also appreciate any help you can give. Together, we can make a difference in our world!